Monday, February 9, 2009

The first meeting with a psychotherapist

This is new, having a blog, not knowing how it will turn out. It’s a little like meeting with a potential new patient, someone with whom I might work over a period of time to help them resolve emotional difficulties. It is with some excitement, never knowing how this first consultation session will go. It is a meeting to check each other out, to see if there is some meeting of the minds and hearts that warrants meeting again. I think about whether I think I could be helpful to this person, and how I might be most helpful. And this new person can think about whether we “clicked”, seemed compatible, whether she or he felt reasonably comfortable talking with me about matters that are usually not so comfortable to talk about. And then to be considered is whether what I said made sense to her, or gave her a new perspective, something worthwhile thinking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment